Friday, September 11, 2009

A Recent Conversation About U2

Recently, I mentioned to someone that I was going to an upcoming U2 concert. The response from this guy shocked me a bit. He said "I used to like U2 when they were a Christian rock band, I bet you did not know that they started that way before wandering off to where they are now."

"WHAT?!" I replied. He then repeated his statement.

My "WHAT?!" was not in response to the Christian rock band remark, it was in response to the statement he was making about them not being a Christian rock band anymore and that they "wandered" off to where they are now.

Now, this is a very nice guy that I have gotten to know a bit, and he was not trying to be offensive at all. It was just an observation from someone that has not followed this band for several years after the band switched to a more edgier tone in the early 90's with Achtung Baby.

But still.......not Christian anymore.

He then stated that, "Just because Bono does good deeds for Africa, doesn't mean that he is a Christian." Which I agree with, but I stated that he needs to look at the lyrics of their songs.

Their most recent release, No Line On The Horizon, has been called "their most thoroughly Christian project to date" according to a theologian in Alabama as reported by The Christian Post. The article states that 7 of the 11 songs have a Christian tone to them.

If you look over the course of their history, there are dozens of songs that have either a Christian tone to them or even quote or interpret scripture. Yahweh, All Because Of You, Grace, Walk On, Stuck In A Moment..., Beautiful Day, If God Will Send His Angels, Stay, When Love Comes To Town, 40 (after psalm 40), I Still Haven't Found What I'm Looking For are just a few of the many many songs that could be put into that category.

One of their more recent songs "Window In The Skies" was not a hit, but is one of my favorites. It has lyrics such as: "The rule has been disproved, the stone it has been moved, the grave is now a groove, all debts are removed" is clearly about the Resurrection of Christ. "Oh can't you see what Love has done?, what it's doing to me?" "To every broken heart, for every heart that cries, Love left a window in the skies" These are incredible lyrics. There is too much evidence to suggest that they ARE christian to say that they are not. They could just as easily have made songs about sex and made their fortune, but chose not to.

I think what gets lost with people, is that Bono and the boys have chosen this route with their music and lyrics, is that they are not pastors or preachers. They are in fact, rock and roll stars who are just trying to deliver a message. They may not always be in tune with doctrine, but they have a well meaning message that is more on point then some Sunday sermons that I have heard. Here is a video that I really enjoy watching, maybe you will too:


1 comment:

TaylorSwift said...

One of my long standing dreams was to attend a U2 concert live. . I know all the words of their songs by heart …well they are performing this year. Next weekend I’m going to visit my sister and we will attend them; I've got U2 tix from Ticketsinventory.com, so I'll be analyzing as well as enjoying the concert.

Website Hit Counters