Tuesday, May 4, 2010

Thank You Ernie Harwell


Every once in awhile, someone that you never meet has a drastic influence in your life. For me, one of those people was Ernie Harwell, who passed away today from cancer at the age of 92.

Growing up was rough in my house. Often, I wonder how I was able to get to where I am today. Not that I am anybody of great significance, because I am not. But the fact that I never wound up an alcoholic like many of my relatives or a drug abuser like other relatives is a miracle. In a big way, Baseball was the main thing that always kept me away from trouble. And Ernie Harwell was a huge part of why I was attracted to baseball. Without a doubt, he helped shape who I am today.

Ernie was the legendary broadcaster for my favorite team, the Detroit Tigers. Back then, there was no XM radio or cable TV to get the ball games, there was only AM radio. I remember running antenna wire up onto the roof of my house just to get a static broadcast of Ernie giving vivid descriptions of what he was watching. His calls of "LLLoooooong Gone" on home run calls will always be remembered as will his "Stood There Like The House On The Side Of Road" when someone was called out on strikes. When someone hit a foul ball he would say "Someone From Niles Michigan is taking that one home" or whatever city he chose to say. As a kid, never having gone to a Major League game at the time, I was fascinated at how he could know that the person in the stands catching that foul ball was from the city that he announced. Of course later I figured out he was just making it up as he went, but I still enjoyed hearing it and waiting to see if he would say Niles which was where I lived.

In 1948, Ernie became the only broadcaster in baseball history to be traded for a player when he was traded to the Brooklyn Dodgers for Catcher Cliff Dapper. A few years later in 1951 he was broadcasting for the New York Giants for Bobby Thompson's "Shot Heard Round The World" during the National League Pennant Playoff Game for NBC. In 1960, Ernie became the "Voice" of my beloved Tigers until his forced retirement in 1991. Fans across Michigan revolted and protested. The decision to force Ernie out was initially blamed on the radio station WJR. Later, it was found that Tigers team President Bo Schembechler and team owner Tom Monaghan were actually responsible. Bo left his position at the end of the 92 season when Monaghan sold the team to Mike Ilitch. One of the first things Ilitch did was to bring Harwell back to the Tigers where he belonged. Ernie remained broadcasting with the Tigers until HE decided to retire on September 29, 2002. After his retirement, Ernie would fill in from time to time doing games for the Tigers or on ESPN. He made a special comeback when Detroit made the post season in 2006. Unfortunately, the Tigers lost the World Series to the St. Louis Cardinals that year.

A devout Christian, Ernie would recite a verse from the Song of Solomon each spring training before the beginning of the first game: "For, Lo, the winter is past, the rain is over and gone; the flowers appear on the earth; the time of the singing of birds is come; and the voice of the turtle is heard in our land."
In July of 2009, Ernie was diagnosed with bile duct cancer and was only given a few months to live.

“I’m ready to face what comes,” he said at the time. “Whether it’s a long time or a short time is all right with me because it’s up to my Lord and savior.”

Thank you Ernie Harwell, I know that I am just one of many many people that you had this effect on. The streets in heaven are rejoicing tonight, may you rest in peace.

1 comment:

sumo-popblog said...

I just heard about 5 minutes ago. Knowing it was coming is no respite. Godspeed, good man. Lovely, by the way.

Website Hit Counters