Thursday, June 18, 2009

My Friday Bible Study

I was not sure that I was going to post this because it can be a touchy topic, but here it is. Every Friday morning I meet with an awesome group of guys in a bible study at Honkers on Day Rd. Some of us are on a rotation to lead the discussion topic. This Friday is my turn to lead and I thought I would share with all of you:


Suicide and Judgment Friday June 19

With the recent events of some local high profile people, I feel compelled to have a discussion on Suicide and Judgment. I know this may end up being a touchy topic, but I have been thinking about it all week. I am not bringing this topic up to discuss guilt or innocence, as that is not for us to decide.

I only knew Dr. Gabriele and his wife in passing, which means that I served with them once or twice at the church that I attend, but I feel a little heart broken that members of my church chose this route. Further, it disturbed me to see some of the comments being made on news websites such as WNDU and WSBT about the Gabriele’s.

The sixth commandment is “Thou shall not murder”

1. How does suicide work into this?


2. From what I understand about Jewish and Catholics, suicide is an unforgivable sin. Is suicide an unforgivable sin?


1 Samuel 31:3-5 3The fighting grew very fierce around Saul, and the Philistine archers caught up with him and wounded him severely.4 Saul groaned to his armor bearer, “Take your sword and kill me before these pagan Philistines come to run me through and taunt and torture me.” But his armor bearer was afraid and would not do it. So Saul took his own sword and fell on it. 5 When his armor bearer realized that Saul was dead, he fell on his own sword and died beside the king.

3. Why did Saul Commit suicide? Why did the armor bearer kill himself? What might they have feared?

1 Corinthians 10:12-13 If you think you are standing strong, be careful not to fall. The temptations in your life are no different from what others experience. And God is faithful. He will not allow the temptation to be more than you can stand. When you are tempted, he will show you a way out so that you can endure.


Matthew 27:3-5 3 When Judas, who had betrayed him, realized that Jesus had been condemned to die, he was filled with remorse. So he took the thirty pieces of silver back to the leading priests and the elders. 4 “I have sinned,” he declared “for I have betrayed an innocent man.”
“What do we care?” the retorted. “That’s your problem”
5 Then Judas threw the silver coins down in the Temple and went out and hanged himself.

4. Sometimes it is not fearing that God will not forgive, but it is having to face those whom you have hurt, or their relatives, that is most difficult. What would you say to such a person to ease his or her burden?


5. Why is it so difficult to forgive oneself?


John 7:24 Judge not according to the appearance, but judge righteous judgment.

Matthew 7:1-2 “Do not judge others, and you will not be judged. For you will be treated as you treat others. The standard you use in judging is the standard by which you will be judged.”

John 8:6-7 They were trying to trap him into saying something they could use against him, but Jesus stooped down and wrote in the dust with his finger. They kept demanding an answer, so he stood up again and said “All right, but let the one who has never sinned throw the first stone!”

6. How do these scriptures speak to you? Is public judgment towards the Gabriele’s a righteous judgment?

No comments:

Website Hit Counters