Thursday, July 9, 2009

"I Am Not A Role Model"

"I Am Not A Role Model" I remember those words caused a lot of controversy back in June of 1993 when Charles Barkley uttered those words followed by "Just because I can dunk a basketball, does not mean that I should raise your kids." At the time, and even more so now, I felt that he was unfairly criticized for those remarks.

I understand that kids look up to athletes, actors, actresses and pop singers. After all, I was a kid once and I remember looking up to Detroit Tigers shortstop Alan Trammell. But just because an athlete, a musician or an actor/actress have success in their public life does not mean that they have success in their private life. And I think that is what Charles Barkley meant by his statement, especially since Charles has been arrested for prostitution solicitation and has an admitted gambling problem.

Now, there are a lot of great people to look up to including athletes, actors, actresses and pop singers. But the point I am trying to make, is that the people you come into contact on a daily basis are the people that should be having the greatest influence. Parents, relatives, friends, pastors and neighbors are going to have far more influence in a persons life. We need to be careful and distinguish the difference between just looking up to someone because of success and fame and fortune, and idolizing someone.

Since the death of Michael Jackson, the AP has reported 12 suicides as a direct result of Jacksons death and several more attempted suicides.

"I Am Not A Role Model" has been echoing around in my head for the past week or two as I see more and more people that have fallen lately. Quarterbacks, pop singers, governors and senators. All who have had a very different public life vs. their private life. This could be a great opportunity for people to be reminded who their role models should be.

No comments:

Website Hit Counters