Monday, May 11, 2009

My Favorite Scene From Seabiscuit

I was watching one of my favorite movies last week, Seabiscuit. A little ways into the movie there was a scene that I just cannot get out of my mind, so I thought I would share it with you, along with my thoughts. I have included the scene at the bottom of this post.

It is the scene where Charles (Jeff Bridges) meets Tom (Chris Cooper) for the first time. Charles, purposely, wanders out into the night while nobody is watching to meet Tom who is a horse trainer.

After introducing himself, Charles asks Tom about a horse that he has. He asks if he will race again. When Tom kindly tells him no, this is where the conversation gets interesting to me. Charles asks "why fix him?" and Tom responds "because I can" then a little later Tom says "You know, you don't throw a whole life away just because he's banged up a little."

I love that last line!

The thing is, we are all banged up. Sometimes we are open about it and sometimes we internalize it. Sometimes it is very visible, while other times it is not. Sometimes it is by our own choosing, sometimes it is by the situations that we are put in, but we are all banged up.

I think sometimes, as Christians, we lose sight of that. We get so caught up in the grace that God has given us, that we forget about what it was like when we did not have it. Which brings up some questions.

Do you know someone that feels banged up a little, or worse, they feel banged up to the point that they feel they no longer matter? Do you remember what it was like when you felt that way? What are you going to do about it, sit on the sidelines and be a fan of Christ, or get in the game and be a follower of Christ? I just pray that I am being a follower.


No comments:

Website Hit Counters