Friday, May 1, 2009

Obama and Guns

This morning in my men's bible study group, someone made a comment about gun prices going up because people are afraid that President Obama is going to take away our rights to gun ownership. I too have seen these gun prices rise since the election. I made the comment to my group that people are worried about the wrong issue when it comes to guns. And, at my friend Augie's urging, I will explain what I am talking about. But before I do, you need to know, that I voted for our current president and I do own a gun and my wife has a weapons permit so that she can carry her .22 or 9mm if she chooses to. And she is deadly accurate with them, kind of cool, huh?

Anyway, it is my belief that the focus has been misplaced. I do not believe, for a second, that President Obama is going to take away our rights to gun ownership. I don't think he is even going to try to. Don't get me wrong, I do not believe that President Obama is pro gun. I just don't think he is going to try to take them away. For one, Vice President Biden has a weapons permit to carry and IS pro gun ownership. Another reason, is that 65% of the democrats that hold office are pro gun ownership. But I also do not think President Obama is going to fight this perception of him wanting to take away guns. Why would he want to? The pro gun ownership part of this country is creating fear, which is driving the price of guns up, which makes it harder to buy them. In other words, the very people that want their guns are making harder for themselves to buy the guns that they want.

What I do think President Obama is going to try to do though, is to make it harder to buy the ammunition. President Obama is a very smart man and he knows that he cannot tamper with the constitution, but there is nothing in the constitution about the right to own the ammunition that you put in the guns. I don't think that he is going to ban bullets, just make it harder for people to purchase them. There is talk about having every bullet that is manufactured be marked with its own individual serial number. The cost of manufacturing ammunition will sky rocket, making it harder to buy the bullets needed.

So, whether you are pro gun or anti gun, that is for you to decide. I just thought that I would throw out a different perspective as to what is going on with gun ownership.

No comments:

Website Hit Counters