Monday, May 18, 2009

Notre Dame

I have to confess something. I have never been a fan of the University of Notre Dame. As a life long resident of Michiana, I have had Notre Dame crammed down my throat. But most of my experience that had led me on that path was from earlier years when all I cared about was sports. When ND won, it was on the front page and the headline story on the news, regardless of what else was going on in the world. When ND lost, it was usually a non story on the back page somewhere. I found, and still do, that most of the people that cheer for the sports teams of ND are arrogant and act like they are better than everyone else. That is just my perception, which means that it is reality to me.

Since I have become a Christ follower a few years ago, I have tried to become very active in the community. The more active that I get, the more I see Notre Dame. They are helping with at risk kids, in the very depressed areas of South Bend, with both volunteers and with money. They are helping with the homeless. I consistently see them reaching out into this community. There are no headlines about this, no fanfare and no recognition that is neither asked for or demanded by ND. They do these things without knowing whether the people benefiting are Christian, Catholic, Muslim, Atheist or anything else you want to throw in there. They do it because, as Christians, it is what they are called to do. As Christians, it is what we are all called to do. To reach out to those in need, whether they share our beliefs or not. To reach out to those you disagree with and try to reconcile those disagreements.

It is very easy to HATE in this world that we live in, especially when you are dealing with opposing views on topics like abortion. It is very easy to demonize someone you disagree with, it makes it more comfortable. Comfortable because that is how we see the world. Comfortable knowing that we are right and they are wrong, end of story.

It is NOT easy to sit down and have a civil discussion about a disagreement, that takes courage because it is uncomfortable. Uncomfortable, because you know that those that oppose you have just as strong of a conviction about their view as you do yours. Uncomfortable because their view of the world is different from yours or what you think it should be.

Usually what I have found, is that when there are opposing views, there is also some common views and beliefs. Common views and beliefs that can be a building block to bring the two sides closer together. They will never come to total agreement because their beliefs are too deep, but they can come closer together. When it comes to abortion, the two sides will never agree, but maybe more restrictions will be put in place. When it comes to abortion, there will never be acceptance of the other view, but maybe there can at least be an understanding of why the other side has the view they do. And if that happens, in a civil way, then maybe some real change will begin to happen.

The saying goes, "the definition for insanity is doing the same thing over and over and expecting a different result." Well, for years, the pro life group and pro choice group have been standing on their street corners screaming at one another and getting nowhere. Real change does not happen by forcing it upon someone. Real change happens by finding common ground, like Christianity, and building upon it.

What I saw from Notre Dame and from our President yesterday was an attempt to do things differently. There was an agreement to disagree along with the willingness to talk about the common ground. I felt it was courageous for Notre Dame to invite the President to commencement when they knew there would be a back lash. I felt it was courageous of our President to accept the invitation when he knew his view was not going to be the popular view. The common ground, in this case, is that we have a Christian/Catholic University and a Christian President reaching out to one another to reconcile their differences through the word of God. Maybe, just maybe, this will be the start of some real change. I know that it is certainly changing the way that I look at Notre Dame and it reconfirms why I voted for our President.

No comments:

Website Hit Counters